At APD, we believe caring for our community is a special responsibility that we are honored to fulfill. In addition to initiatives to deliver affordable care to our uninsured and underinsured patients through our Financial Assistance programs, our department reaches out to area residents of all ages through a wide variety of programs and services.
Our goal is to improve the health of residents living in the APD service area. To achieve this, we work in partnership with local and state agencies (including but not limited to school districts, the NH Division of Health and Human Services, NH Oral Health Coalition, the Public Health Council of the Upper Valley, and the Vermont Department of Health) to increase access to medical and oral health services, particularly for the underserved.
Free Community Programs
We offer free programs and services in response to demonstrated community need. These include but are not limited to:
- Increasing access to medical and dental care for the underinsured and uninsured
- Assisting families/individuals with enrollment in NH Children's Medicaid, Dr. Dynasaur, Medicare Low Income Subsidy, V-Pharm and other state/federal programs
- Providing monthly cash support and an in-kind donation of space on the APD campus to the Good Neighbor Health Clinic
- Providing monthly cash support for the Grafton County Senior Citizens Transportation initiative
- Coordinating (and offering financial support for) Lebanon Lunch Friends summer meals program for low-income children in Lebanon
- Providing no-cost FitScript vouchers to adult primary care patients to participate in area gym/bike/swim programs
- Assisting low-income patients in accessing free medications through prescription assistance programs
- Hosting and providing administrative support for the monthly Elder Forum networking group
- Offering subsidized health education programs and meeting space for non-profit groups
- Purchasing coffee for the Upper Valley Turning Point meetings (20 per week)
- Providing health professions education to medical, nursing and allied health students.
- Sharing information about Free Flu Vaccine Clinics
“Upper Valley Smiles,” A Free Dental Health Program for School Kids
APD's Community Health Department offers “Upper Valley Smiles,” a unique dental health program in the region. This school-based oral health program is for children enrolled in Lebanon, Enfield, Canaan, Hartford, and Hartland elementary schools and in the Richards School in Newport. The APD dental team visits each school annually, providing classroom education, dental screenings, fluoride varnish, decay-stopping varnish and sealant applications, all at little-to-no cost to parents. In our NH schools, Certified Public Health Dental Hygienist Mary Davis also delivers temporary fillings.
Upper Valley Smiles receives generous support of donated product from the Oral Health America’s Smiles Across America® initiative, from GC America Inc., and volunteer support from our two supervising dentists, Dr. Patrick Noble and Dr. Tara Symancyk.
Upper Valley Smiles also benefits from broad-ranging community support. The Northeast Delta Dental Foundation provides grant funding for the program, most recently awarding Upper Valley Smiles $4,356 in 2018 to purchase portable dental equipment for use in schools and at other locations in the community. In 2015, the Healthy New Hampshire Foundation awarded Upper Valley Smiles a $19,000 grant to sustain the program at the Richards School for two years, and in 2016, Granite United Way awarded a $20,000 grant to support expanding the program in two ways: by including preschoolers at participating schools and by providing interim therapeutic restorations. A 2016 grant from the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Office of Community Health Improvement subsidizes the care coordination (referral of children to private dentists for restorative treatment) that is an integral part of the program.
Community Benefits Reports
Each year, APD is required to submit a report to the State of New Hampshire to give an account of its community health mission and financial activity.