Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital offers the most comprehensive childbirth education series in the Upper Valley. Our Certified Childbirth Educator teaches women and their birth partners about what to expect during pregnancy, labor, and birth. We also provide information and advice on how to get support after the baby is born.
The Birthing Center at APD
Patsy Sirois, RNC-OB, LMT, CCE (Certified Childbirth Educator)
Classes are small (typically comprised of 3-11 couples) and are held once per week at The Birthing Center. Classes last six weeks, with an optional seventh week for breastfeeding.
Classes cover the following topics:
- Anatomy and physiology, fetal development, coping with discomforts of pregnancy
- Labor, comfort measures during labor, use of the birthing bed or waterbirth tub
- Birth issues and preferences, relaxation, “birth rehearsal”
- Postpartum: Sexuality, dealing with siblings, the newborn, feeding methods
- Safety Issues
- Best beginnings for breastfeeding
Check with your insurance provider about cost-reimbursement options.
Note: Patients of Midwifery Services are also offered our Centering Pregnancy program.